JOIN THE TEAM
CURRENTLY HIRING FOR 2023 SEASON, MARCH THRU NOVEMBER
POSITION: Astronomy Guide
LOCATION: Virgin, Utah
COLLABORATES WITH: Astronomers, Operational Manager, Nigh Sky Assistants
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Outdoor setting, able to work in a changing climate/environment. Background or interest in astronomy and astrology, ability to communicate with people, experience with telescopes, and able to lift 50lbs.
This is an opportunity to grow and share the science and stories of our universe with visitors under the dark skies of Southwest Utah. Stargazing Zion provides entertaining and educational experiences to engage with the solar system, deep space and beyond. Our programs are designed to navigate the history of astronomy, guide one through the night sky, and discover the phenomena of our universe.
You will be responsible for the delivery of an entertaining and educational tour of the night sky. As the astronomy guide you will be leading guests through the program and telescope viewings, executing each segment in a timely and thorough manner. You must have awareness of guest sentiment and mood to adjust your style if necessary in order to produce a valuable program.
The Astronomy Guide works closely with the Night Sky Assistant throughout the program to provide a seamless guest experience. They also work with the Head Astronomer and Operational Manager to collaborate on program development and guest feedback.
- Deliver a 90 minute program on the night sky covering the solar system, stars, deep space, constellations, and the history of astronomy and how it is interwoven with humanity.
- Operate and maintain telescopes for viewing during the program.
- Ability to point out specific objects in the night sky.
- Create meaningful dialogue about the universe with guests.
- Work with Night Sky Assistant in setting up and breaking down telescopes, and any other essential components to perform the presentation.
- Communicate with Night Sky Assistant prior to tour about timing, guest list, and program segments based on moon, and other weather.
- Communicate with the Head Astronomer on program design and delivery, as well as telescope equipment.
- Communicate with Operations Manager on schedule, guest feedback, site conditions and other logistics.
- Possess excellent organization and prioritization, problem-solving skills, able to multitask.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and experience with developing educational programs or content that tells a story and engages an audience.
- Adept at cross-team communication.
- Flexible and can easily adapt to new information, and changes in a physical environment.
TECHNICAL + SKILLS
- Highly proficient and knowledgeable in the field of astronomy.
- Advanced understanding of astrology and other historical content covering constellations.
- Experience with telescopes, both analog and electronic.
- Must comprehend the logical structure of program design and balance.
- Able to understand guest wants and needs, and to deliver the program in the appropriate manner that exceeds their expectations.
Studies in astronomy or natural sciences are preferred.
- You have a natural curiosity and passion for astronomy, and the universe.
- You communicate effectively and concisely across different audiences and levels.
- You operate with a high level of autonomy in a dynamic, changing environment.
- You enjoy being in the wilderness and outdoors.
- You are good at storytelling.
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line "Astronomy Guide - YOUR NAME". This position does have housing secured.